San Augustine is the only church survived after the World War II. The church was firstly constructed in wood from the time of establishment of Intramuros during the period of Legazpi. However, it was fired from the accident and the new church, as survived nowadays, was constructed during 1599-1606
The architectural element of San Augustine’s façade is of classic style, including the triangular pediment supported by the Corinthian columns in the upper register and by the Ionic columns in the lower register. The rose window at the pediment is however reminiscent of the Gothic style.
The belfry, originally there were two, is now only one survived following the earthquake in the 19th century.
Early Spanish influence
The statue of Saint James with a sword in his hand enshrines at the main altar. He.is considered to be the patron of Spain.