ลืมรหัสผ่าน?

  Log in
   
สมัครสมาชิก
  Sign up
 
Thai (TH)
 
Search
Advance search
Praisaneeyakan (Post Office Building)  
  Team amd member reviews  
 

By: (1127) | Date: June 12, 2012

On the Bangkok side of the Chao Phraya River around the mouth of the Ong Ang Canal is situated a striking white Western-style building.  This 3 – story building is called “Praisaneeyakan”.  It was actually a new building built in 2003 in place of the old one which had been demolished when the Phra Phok Khao Bridge was being constructed on the occasion of the 200th anniversary celebration of Rattanakosin city or Bangkok.  However, only the concrete front of the old building was remodeled.  The main building made of teakwood had been dismantled and the parts were kept at the Department of Highways (formerly the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning).  In 2009, the Department gave permission to the Thailand Post Co., Ltd., to utilize this model building as a museum.  The museum, funded by the National Telecommunications Commission, was thus officially inaugurated on January 12, 2009.
 
          Originally the house of Phra Preechakhonlakan (Sam-ang Amattayakul), this building now stands as a time memorial, its history going back to the time when King Rama V graciously gave the post commission to the Siam people – on Saturday 4, August 1883, and also appointed his brother Prince Bhanurangsisawangwong as the first department head.  The postal commission began its postal services in Bangkok and Thonburi areas.  The services were extended to Sam Sen in the north of the city, to Sa Pathum in the east, Bang Kho Laem in the South, and Talad Plu in the west.  Following its quick growth, a Post and Telegraph School was established in 1885 at the Praisaneeyakan building for the purpose of producing qualified personnel to keep up with the growth rate.
 
          Currently the displays occupy 2 floors.  The first floor exhibition is devoted to the stories of King Rama V’s task of establishing Thailand’s post.  The information and explanations are illustrated by pictures and relevant postage stamps.  The stamps, copies of the original ones, include the Rama V portrait set, the 125 years of Thailand Post set, and the Thai Postman set.  Additionally, there is another exhibition on Prince Bhanurangsisawangwong’s biography and work, and the history of the first postal office in Thailand, the Praisaneeyakan.  In one corner an important item is put there – a clock that once was there in the building.  The clock had been bought from the J.W. Benson Co., Ltd., on the order of Prince Bhanurangsi during his tenure of Acting Head of the Post and Telegraph Office.  The clock consists of 3 parts: the face with 1 - meter diameter, the machine, and the tower bell with 50 - centimeter diameter.  The manufacturing year 1883 is on the bell.
 
          The second floor houses an exhibition of the history of Thailand’s post.  It is divided into 4 sections or periods of time.  The first period 1883 – 1899 was the starting point of Thailand post ; 1954 – 1977 was the golden age ; the third period was 1932 – 1954 ; the fourth period was 1954 – 1977 ; and the period from 1977 until the present.  There is another exhibition which has the stories of Thailand’s telegraph services that now have become legends after 133 years of service – what telegraph was, the work ethics, the telegraph routes, the evolution of Thai telegraph, the progress … towards wireless telegraph, the origin of the signals in Thai, and the counting down … and the farewell to telegraph.
 
          The Praisaneeyakan also has in it a post office, open on Fridays – Sundays at 14.00 – 20.00 hours.  So far there have not been very many customers because there is no car park here.

Like  |  Report


 
   
Write a review Share Edit museum
 
  Praisaneeyakan (Post Office Building)  
: Phra Nakhon District, Bangkok 10200
: 02-831-3934
: 02-831-3850
: Fri-Sun from 12.00am.-8.00pm.
: free admission
: -
: -
: 2009
: -
Management : state agency
Story : postals communication
Status : Open
Update Jan 14, 2014
  Vote
5 people have voted.
100.00 %
like it, Add your vote?
  Museum layout  
See all+
  Map  

ดู ไปรสนียาคาร ในแผนที่ขนาดใหญ่กว่า
  Video  
See all+
  Brochure  
See all+
  This museums may interest you  
Sam Sen Nai Philatelic Museum
Nakhon Sawan Philatelic Museum
Chiang Mai Philatelic Museum
Nakhon Ratchasima Philatelic Museum
Ubon Ratchathani Philatelic Museum
  More information from other resources  
  Tags  
postal, stamp,
  Fans
Other SAC' databases
  Thailand and Southeast Asia Ethnic Groups Research Database
The Inscriptions in Thailand Database
Thailand Anthropological Archive Database
Thailand archaeology Database
ICH Learning Resources
Anthropological News Clipping
Ethnographic Film Database
Siam Rare Books
Main menu
  Reviews
Add museum
Curatorial
Blog
Publication
Newsletter
Festival
About us
  Mission and history
Team
Contact
SAC
facebook
Help
  FAQ
Feed back
Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Anthropology Centre 20 Baromaratchachonnani Rd, Taling Chan, Bangkok 10170
Tel. +66 2 8809429 | Fax. +66 2 8809332 | E-mail. webmaster@sac.or.th 
สงวนลิขสิทธิ์ พ.ศ. 2549 | เงื่อนไขและข้อตกลง